Thursday, March 31, 2011

Are you entertained, yet?

Hunger Games was a book that kept me on the edge of my seat, and those are the types of books I enjoy reading and I’m not in any way much of a reader. At first, I dreaded having to read another book, but this book was by far one of the better books we have read so far in class. Every chapter left me hanging, which made it hard for me to put the book down because I was always left curious as to what was going to happen next. It surprisingly only took me two days to read which isn’t normal for me because I never get excited to pick up a book, sit there, and read it, but this book I did get anxious about it. I wasn’t expecting it to be so similar to the Lottery, where picking a person to die was totally normal in a society. Both of the readings were so shocking to me, Hunger games especially. Not only did one person die every year, but twenty-three. It’s horrible that an audience would enjoy watching the death of someone. This ties into why we get so excited about watching reality TV shows filled with drama. Why do we enjoy it? I can understand watching reality TV, but not the hunger games. It’s not nearly the same thing- watching someone die in real life. I don’t think that’s normal.

I was very nervous for the twenty-four that had gotten elected to enter the games. I couldn’t imagine how terrified it would be to go through with it. I had a lot of respect for Katniss when she volunteered herself and rather put her life at risk than her sister’s. She loved no one more than Prim, who obviously she would have done anything for- even dying. When she heard her sister’s name being called, she was terrified. She instantly volunteered herself without hesitating to be the girl tribute for their district rather than her twelve year old sister. I felt very highly of her for doing that. I think anyone would have risked their life for someone they loved. Katniss was a very responsible, caring, and tough person. Throughout the whole book, she kept her emotions together, not something most people would be able to do if they were in her situation. Katniss held a bundle of responsibility for her family. Every day, Katniss would find a way to scavenge for food to put on the table for her sister and mom and she would work very hard to make sure of it. It must not have been easy for her, but it was normal in her town to not have enough food. I felt sorry for them because it seemed like a daily goal to find food to keep them alive. It didn’t seem like an enjoyable life, but Katniss fortunately had Gale on her side. Katniss always relied on him and it seemed as though they had a very special connection. I was happy she had someone to relate too and be there for her. 

As I was reading, I was surprised to notice how quickly all of the events took place. It’s like Katniss couldn’t even prepare herself for what would be the worst day of her life. The time it took from reaping day to the games was so fast. There were so many emotions going through her head, and I felt so bad for her. Katniss would get mad at multiple times during the pre-game process because of Maymitch constantly getting drunk, Effie always having a bad attitude, and Peeta kept pretending to be Katniss’ friend which made her very upset. Many times, Katniss would get discouraged and believe there was no way she could win the games. During training, the panel wasn’t even paying attention to her. I felt horrible that these people were taking her life so lightly. She ended up blowing them out of the water by aiming the arrow at them, shooting the apple in the pig’s mouth, and pinning it to the wall. I was happy to hear she received a high score, which would have hopefully made her chances higher for surviving. I thought the games were unpredictable, which made it interesting to read about. Peeta and Katniss’ relationship was hard to figure out. They’d sometimes get along, and at others absolutely despise each other. During training, interviews, and the actual games I was scared for Katniss. At any moment, she could have died. Lucky for her, she had Rue and Peeta to help her through the game. I was so happy for her and Peeta –when they announced that they could both win the games, being from the same district. They both had feelings for each other and it was very exciting, except Katniss was only acting. I was very disappointed when I read that, because I feel Katniss and Peeta were perfect for each other, especially since they almost experienced death together.

Something I was really amazed at was how the tributes that were in the arena wanted to put on a good show for the audience. Katniss and the others helped the gamemakers out by trying to put an act on. I was so surprised that they were even concerned about this with their lives at stake. It wouldn’t be something I would care about if I were in an arena of death. It was bad enough that the gamemakers were making it harder for them to survive in the arena by the smoke, bees, fireballs, etc. The gamemakers would have done anything to make sure their audience was entertained and to make sure they were enjoying every minute of it. I don’t think they were considering the tributes suffering through it. That made me very mad. I was constantly responding to the tributes, especially Katniss. The whole time, I was actually worried for her.

This book works in conversation with 1984. I think they both share in the common the idea of watching every minute of real life. They are different in a sense that, in 1984, Big Brother wasn’t broadcasting each person’s life to the world like they were in The Hunger Games. Big Brother, as well as the government, is a lot like the Capitol in this novel. They have very strict rules and they are very obnoxious rules at that. The thought police and the gamemakers controlled your every move. The characters in 1984 would be very careful about what they said or thought to prevent serving the consequences. The gamemakers would control the show and make the tributes time miserable as well. Overall, The Hunger Games was a very good book. I felt many emotions while reading it, but it only made me not want to put the book down.

I chose a clip from the movie “The Truman Show”. This movie is about a man who, from birth, had his life caught on video to display to the world as entertainment. He did not know this was going on until the very end. He is in his “own world” created by the director which acts as a stage just like the arena in The Hunger Games. Everyone in this created world of his are the actors and he is the main character. The director of the show makes it entertaining to watch because of the effects he adds just like the the gamemakers added to the games. People from all around the real world tune in to watch this show that is aired 24/7. This show goes as far as watching Truman sleep and catch on video his every move. There are hidden cameras everywhere. This movie goes along the lines of 1984 and The Hunger games. Take a look.


5 comments:

  1. Kayla, I too LOVED this book! I also read the book in two days and like you, I don't usually don't enjoy reading. We basically have the same exact view of Katniss-- mentally strong, thoughtful, respected, resourceful. She was definitely the most well rounded person in the Hunger Games. I was vying for Katniss and Peeta all along; hoping that this "on-screen romance" was real. I was disappointed to find out that it was only real on Peeta's part. The 1984 connection with people constantly watching you is a great connection. It didn't even cross my mind to make that connection. I liked how you connected each aspect in the Hunger Games and 1984. I have never seen The Truman Show, but while watching the YouTube video you included, it became quite evident that every single aspect of the man was recorded for all to see, as was the case in both the Hunger Games and 1984. Great connection between the two pieces of literature and the video clip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the book too and I hate reading to be honest. I agree that the book was very suspensful and hard to put down. I actually read the book in two days too and most of the reason for that was because I couldn't put it down. I like the connection you made with 1984. I also like the connection that you made with The Truman Show. It was obvious that everybody was suspended and wathcing the man, but to be honest there wasn't enough action for me and I didn't watch the how thing. That seems kindof sad, but that proves what we have been talking about us liking sex and violence. Good connections and views though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite books that I have ever read so far too! I don't read as much either so it was nice to have such an action packed one to read. I have to admit, I got anxious about the book at times too especially when I had to put the book down in the middle of a really suspenseful part. I agree with you, it's horrible that some of the people got enjoyment out of watching people suffer in The Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found the scene where Katniss shot the arrow right through the panel into the apple one of the best in the book. It was both amusing and scary at the same time, because I did not know what was going to happen to her in result of what she did. I think it turned out to be the best thing for her. It got her the highest score, and probably ended up winning her a lot of pledge money, which ended up helping her win the Games.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This might just be one of my favorite books and I really don't tend to read much so that isn't saying much but it's a good start. I didn't think the book was going to get that intense but after I read it and found out there was a movie going to be based on it I was very excited. I can't wait for the movie and I'm glad they are doing it.

    ReplyDelete