Friday, February 25, 2011

Freedoms for Safety

The idea of Big Brother is scary and the idea of “being watched” exists in our own lives today. People invade our privacy more than we think. We can be looked up or seen in a variety of different places. Luckily, it isn’t as bad as having a Big Brother to listen in on our thoughts and see every little thing we do. It is, however, disturbing to know that internet websites hold information about a person without them putting it there. I think taking a little bit of our privacy away is fine, because it’s intended to keep us safe. There are cameras in stores and on street corners as witnesses to what goes on. It doesn’t bother me to have those cameras because I have nothing to hide. Other people, however, do and that’s not okay so the cameras come into use. I’d rather have the invasion of my privacy than to be in danger. Personally, I think the cameras and videos that are in public places are important. People that aren’t doing what they’re suppose to can easily be seen and tracked down. It’d be better to feel safe than sorry. In the novel, 1984, Big Brother is excessive and unnecessary. I don’t think it would be ok to have our privacy taken completely. Winston and Julia couldn’t even go anywhere to be “alone” and away from the telescreen. I don’t agree with that. People should be able to feel free and have their right to privacy. I don’t feel like my freedom is taken away because there are security cameras. I feel safer.
A common place people think their privacy is invaded in on Facebook. People can look you up, but it’s the person’s choice to display their page. I don’t think this would count as an invasion of privacy. If people don’t want their page to be seen, they can prevent it. The thing is, people don’t make their pages private and they’ll blame people for “creeping” on their page. Businesses are also able to look at people’s Facebooks if they’re open to the public, but they can’t blame them for doing it because it’s the persons fault for not making it private. Also, in airports, our privacy may be considered invaded but it’s only for the protection of us. If our privacy wasn’t invaded, then people could carry things on the plane and endanger other passengers on board. I don’t see anything wrong with our privacy being invaded a little to protect us. I do believe our privacy still exists. We aren’t viewed on a telescreen 24/7. The cameras or videos are only up in most public places. Our homes are completely private. I think, without protection people would worry more and feel unsafe. The cameras are, in a way, assuring because if something were to happen such as a crime or a motor vehicle accident, it can be monitored and hopefully corrected. I think we need an even balance for having our privacy invaded for our safety and total privacy.

5 comments:

  1. I agree. It is really disturbing to know that information is out there and can be put out there about us and we not even know about it. It is a very uncomfortable feeling to know that. I also agree with how you said that facebook isn't an invasion of privacy because people are voluntarily putting that information out there. It is sad how the characters in 1984 couldn't even be themselves because they were in fear of being caught by the thought police. That would really stink to have to live like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have the exact same viewpoints on privacy both in today's society and in the novel. Like I said in my blog post, people should know that when they are in public they are sacrificing some of their freedoms because there are video cameras in public. However, what they need to realize is that those devices are in public to help protect them! In 1984, the video cameras, which in this case were called telescreens were just excessive. I, too agree that cameras and video cameras in public places are a sense of security.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even imagine what it would feel like to be watched 24/7. I mean we are watched a lot today but if it was like 1984 you would never have time to be alone. Atleast today we have places to go where we are not being followed or watched. Like I said before if we ever become a society like the one in 1984 it would be a huge disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your comment that cameras do keep us safe, but I think that it's sad that we, as a people, need cameras to keep us safe. People should be able to act in a responsible, polite way and not steal and rob people. Unfortunately, apparently, people are not smart enough to act accordingly, and therefore the cameras are necessary. Back when our grandparents, and even maybe our parents were kids, security cameras were not as necessary because people acted in a civilized manner. Apparently we are not capable of that today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cameras keep us safe but they do not belong everywhere. I would like to have some freedom in my life. Yes, you should be able to act responsible but who wants to be constantly watched. That isn't fun and it's just creepy to me. I just don't even know what to say anymore other than i want my freedom but i want to be safe at the same time. I'm pretty much contradicting myself because i don't know what i really want lol

    ReplyDelete