Sunday, February 20, 2011

Thoreau Challenge: It's Over!

It feels so good to be finally done with this challenge! I can’t believe I made it a week without using technology. Thursday and Friday were rough, probably because it was the last two days of the challenge. I was pretty much going crazy without being able to check my Facebook or my cell phone. The silence in my room was starting to get to me and all I wanted to do was listen to my iTunes or turn on the TV. I have been sick all week so the temptation wasn’t too hard because I was bumming around getting lots of sleep, but it still would have been nice to listen to something! It also would have been nice to watch TV while I was lying in bed, but instead I caught up on some more reading. Fortunately, I was getting better toward the end of the week so me and my boyfriend ended up enjoying the weather and went outside to throw some football. Thank goodness for the beautiful days we had on Thursday and Friday because if I were stuck in my room again with nothing to do, I would of cried. My boyfriend and I also went for a walk to McDonald’s to get shamrock shakes! It was a lot of fun. It was nice to get out and actually do something! Towards the middle of the week I was so sick of board games, but since there was nothing else to do we got a hold of the game Life and played. This past week has been very interesting. I didn’t think I could come up with things to do without the use of technology, but I (surprisingly) did. I honestly don’t think I would have been able to do it, if my boyfriend wasn’t doing it with me. I probably would have quit a long time ago! Since he was in this challenge with me, it was a lot easier to find things to do together, rather than just trying to do things on my own.
On Saturday, I finally was able to get my cell phone out and turn it on! It took me about two hours to reply to all the messages I’ve had and reply to all the missed calls that were on my phone! It was so nice to talk to my family and friends from home to tell them about everything that’s been going on in the past week. I also turned on the TV and watched movies all day. Luckily ABC Family and TBS had movies on back to back. I was so happy to be able to do whatever I wanted again with technology. I went online and checked my Facebook and ended up doing multiple things at once on the computer. I was getting a technology overload all at once! It feels good to be “back”. I wouldn’t say I regret doing this challenge, but I don’t think I could easily do it again for a very long time! It has showed me that I do rely on technology more than I thought and it’s possible to live without it for a week, and probably even longer. I personally don’t think I could have gone any longer. Thankfully it’s over and it I can honestly say it was quite the experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment